Seeking What They Sought.

plantainfoor

“Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought.” –

Matsuo Basho

What large and profound footsteps we see from our vantage point at this very moment.

Today the 16’s came together for our second class period. We are still matching names to faces and trying to gather exactly what it means to be a Periclean Scholar. Dr. Arcaro graced us with his presence this afternoon and explained the history of the program, answered our questions, and told stories of his recent trip to Honduras with Professor Post. As we ate plantain chips and gawked at pictures of their journey, every mind around the room was beginning to turn. Ideas were being formed about just how we as a class might embark on our own journey to Honduras.  Will we focus on gang violence, hunger, health issues, or education? Will we be working with the Corporate World or should wetake a different approach? So many questions and ideas came to fruition in each individual mind today. It will be incredible to see where research and discussion decide to lead us as a group in the weeks to come.

It is rather wild to me that a program like Periclean Scholars actually works! A handful of driven, hardworking, go-getters who each have opinions and ideas that differ from each others . . . there is no way conflict could arise! From my quick analysis, the reason that this thing called “Periclean Scholars” works is because of one common attribute that each member of the cohort possesses. That one thing is passion. Each Periclean Scholar has an undoubted passion for the world around them. Each member of the cohort has refused to be blind to the needs of the world around them. It will be up to us over the next 3 years to figure out how to arrange those passions together and multiply them into a sustainable and life changing project for each individual involved.

As we embark on this journey we know that we have an outstanding group of older and wise Pericleans to lean on and learn from. What we must remember is that although we are the 11th cohort to take this road, each one is unique. We will be faced with many issues and obstacles that other classes have faced. For those hurdles we can turn to our predecessors for guidance and wisdom. What we will also encounter is a new slew of questions and decisions that have not been asked or made before. For these issues it is imperative for us to remember that to “seek what they sought” not their footsteps. We must look for what the past Pericleans used to make decisions and find answers to questions. At this point I do not know what that entails, but I do know it involves remembering our passion for the world. I am looking forward to working with this group and seeing where this journey takes each of us.

Paz,

-Dawson Nicholson ’16

This entry was posted in Partners-All Classes. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

2 Comments

1. Posted September 3, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Dawson, I’m so glad you led with the quote that Dr. Arcaro shared with us. As mentor, I’ve talked with all of the previous mentors about their experiences, and a part of me would love it if someone would just tell me what to do and say, “Here is my perfected syllabus. If your class follows this plan, you will accomplish great things.” But so far, that has not happened! And what I’m coming to appreciate is exactly what Dr. Braye talks about and that’s the importance of the journey. If I had been told exactly what to do, I don’t think I would have learned so much along the way and appreciated the effort it takes to be a mentor. So thanks for going on this journey with me and for your thought-provoking post!

2. Posted September 3, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

I am so excited to be on this journey with you as well! I cannot wait to watch the progress of our group and see all that we can accomplish and to see the knowledge base that we acquire on the way!
    Hasta Mañana:)