Alumni NEWS!!! Please read all the way down….

Several exciting news updates:

First, this from Sam White, Class of ’06 [focus on HIV/AIDS in Namibia:

Greetings friends,

I hope this message finds you well! I have some fun news to share on the job front…IMG_1164

I was selected as a 2013-2014 Global Health Corps Fellow and I will be moving to Malawi in July! I’ll be working as monitoring and evaluation fellow with the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. The fellowship is one year and I think it will be an awesome
opportunity for me to get some hands-on experience in the field.

I will likely start up a blog for those interested in following along with me on this journey – more info on that in the coming months. In the meantime, I wanted to let you know of my upcoming move. Yay! 

Cheers, 

Sam

Next, an update from Jenn Pierson, also Class of ’06:

Here are the major details of my placement in Namibia:

“Greetings from Windhoek! I hope your preparations for your time in Namibia are coming together well.
After much consideration, I have decided to place you at Omatjete Primary School. Omatjete is a large

rural village located one hour north of the large town of Omaruru in the Erongo Region. Transportation
  can be irregular, but it is generally not too difficult to get to Omaruru. Omaruru is a nice town, a bit
  smaller than the other major towns throughout Namibia, but with a very nice grocery store and most
  anything you would need and can’t find in the small shops of Omatjete. I am not as familiar with Erongo
  as I am with the Ohangwena Region in the north, but believe Omaruru to be a more diverse town,
  surrounded by very similar villages compared to the north. Most rural residents are subsistence farmers
  from the Herero tribe and speak Otjiherero.

At Omatjete you will be teaching primarily English but may also teach some non-promotional subjects like
Art and Basic Information Science (BIS, basically library/basic computing). The grades of your classes will
vary between grades 5 and 7.

Finally, and in some ways the most exciting, Annie Huth, ’12, passed on the news that this morning that USD $60,000 has arrived in the CRHP for use in building a new health training facility on the CRHP campus.  Annie is the inaugural Elon Fellow for CRHP, an initiative of the Class of 2012.  Annie will be updating us with reports and photos of the build in process.  These funds are from the World Expo2020 IzmirCommittee in Izmir, Turkey and is one part of their commitment to “Health for All.”  Here is the video that was screened as part of their presentation to the BIE in Paris last November.
This entry was posted in Class of 2006: Namibia, Class of 2012: India, Director -Tom Arcaro, Partners-All Classes. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.