David May Introduction

Hey guys! My name is David May and I’m from the awesome city of Chattanooga, Tennessee (Which has the fastest internet in America, no big deal). I’m the cool kind of southern in that I’m friendly and order sweet tea. That’s pretty much it, no real accent to speak of. I recently changed my intended path to a double major in business management and environmental studies, and I’m pretty nervous about it. In high school I did service work through my school and through Boy Scouts, which I finished as an Eagle Scout, and I was also fortunate enough to be a part of a service trip to Tanzania. Besides pondering what I want to do with my life, I play club ultimate Frisbee and cook stuff in cooking club. I love the outdoors, and I like to climb and mountain bike in the beautiful mountains around my hometown.

I want to be a Periclean Scholar to prove to myself that I am capable of a long term commitment to real change, and that my beliefs are more than just conversation points. One of the coolest aspects of the program for me is that we are more or less working from the ground up to find solutions to real problems. We are working together to create an informed and detailed picture of a complex country to most effectively deal with pressing issues there. And we’re doing it over the course of three years! It’s really cool that we get to work with the same people every year and really build a strong group dynamic. I hope to contribute some ideas, and although I speak probably more than I should, I think that I am very good at listening and tying together multiple ideas. I can also bake some mean cookies, if I do say so myself.

Africa is an incredible place, and I’m pretty excited to immerse myself in its culture. I’m also pumped to get to know some people along the way. And although we don’t really know what we signed up for, it’s definitely going to be a pretty unique experience!

This entry was posted in Class of 2017-Namibia. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.