Online alternatives to cancelling class
Update: Please see the current version of this article here. Many of the tools listed below are no longer available at Elon.
Here are a few simple suggestions:
- Use Moodle as a central location for students to find course information, lead and facilitate discussions, and post and submit assignments. You can also live chat with your students using Moodle’s text-based chat.
- Introduce a topic/concept using video. Record a quick introduction using your web cam or record your screen with Screencast-O-Matic, and then use the MediaCore plugin to upload the video to your course.
- Add audio to PowerPoint slides, and then upload your file to Moodle.
- Select a video from the Learning on Demand site and lead a discussion in Moodle.
- Assign Lynda Training resources to help students learn new technology skills like web design, presenting with PowerPoint, editing video, and more.
- Use web conferencing tools like Adobe Connect (requires advanced notice – call 278-5200) or Google Hangouts to hold class synchronously.
Teaching and Learning Technologies (TLT) can support you with implementing any of the above ideas as well as provide additional suggestions for online alternatives.
Please contact TLT at 278-5006 or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.