As an Elon faculty member, we know that inclement weather, illness, or travel can sometimes prevent you from being on campus. When this occurs, consider using online alternatives instead of cancelling class.
Here are a few technology tips to consider:
- Use Moodle as a central location to update course information, lead and facilitate discussions, and post assignments. You can also live chat with your students using Moodle’s text-based chat.
- Introduce a topic/concept using video. Record a quick introduction using your web cam or record your screen with Kaltura and then upload the video to your course in Moodle.
- Use web conferencing tools like WebEx to hold class remotely and synchronously.
- Add audio to PowerPoint slides, and then upload your file to Moodle.
- Link to existing video resources like Learning on Demand, Lynda Training, and Kanopy streaming video and lead a discussion in Moodle.
If you’re not sure where to start, Teaching and Learning Technologies (TLT) is happy to set up a consultation to discuss the many options you have for making your course more accessible out of the classroom. Contact Teaching and Learning Technologies at (336) 278-5006 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For help troubleshooting online tools or for general questions, please contact the Technology Service Desk at (336) 278-5200 or email@example.com.