Response Week 13

Nov 22 2010

Response Week 13

1. What are some ways Augmented Reality is used in every day life?  Do I see AR on a regular basis and not even know it?

Based on our video chat today with Whurley, augmented reality can be seen in every day life.  Examples given were the ability to take pictures of bar codes or building with a smart phone and information for the place will be brought up on your phone.  This is such a simple, yet useful idea to many so I really think that this could take off.

2.  How can I use Augmented Reality in my interactive work?

According to Whurley, AR can be used in interactive work but it is expensive and not quite effective just yet since many aren’t even sure of exactly what it is.  I think that everyone needs to know exactly what AR is and its purpose before it will become more mainstreamed in homes and can be used in interactive work more often.

3.  Is Augmented Reality the future for gaming systems?  It seems like it would be a likely direction but how feasible is this?

The Kinect is actually a form of AR, so it really is the future of gaming systems.  I’ve yet to use the Kinect but it does seem pretty interesting that the console knows the person standing in front of it.  I think that this concept can only be taken further in the future.