Response Week 13

Nov 22 2010

Response Week 13

I asked:

The author of the augmented reality article says that augmented reality surpassed virtual worlds. I want to know how they have surpassed them and what’s really different between the two, because just from their titles they sound very similar.
After the video chat with Whurley today, I think that the two are very similar. I do feel like augmented reality does go beyond just virtual worlds because it seems to put the user in the virtuality more. With virtual worlds, the user may have an avatar type creature that mimics and goes through the motions that the user would go through. But with augmented reality, the user is actually doing the actions themselves. They are in this world. So it is closer to actual reality, it is just not exactly the same as real world. As I said though the two are very similar.

Which aspects of augmented reality were derived from virtual worlds/reality (gaming and such)? And which came first? Did we just learn one before the other, but augmented reality was actually created first?

I’m still unclear as to which one came first, Augmented reality or Virtual reality, but I’m going to guess that augmented reality is an extension of virtual reality because the technology behind it seems more advanced and unique. For instance, the new game console Kinect, and the games that go with it, seem to go so far beyond World of Warcraft gaming and other video games played with the PS3 and other more advanced game consoles.