Amateurization

Sep 27 2010

Amateurization

As indicated by Jenkin’s article, people inspired by various forms of media have emulated their role models in attempts to follow in their footsteps a.k.a. amateurization. Just off the top of my head, here are 3 sites that host the works of various fans and fandoms:

Fanfiction.net

Youtube

Deviant Art

My question to this is what opportunities will be available to those who post their work on the internet since more people will have a chance to see it? Or is the quantity of content so vast that the chances of being “discovered” are equal to what they were before the internet?

After reading You Are Not a Gadget I have a question similar to Lanier: Where are the virtual reality gadgets? According to his book, Janier was working with VR in the 1980s and that was 30 years ago. Maybe we are working toward VR though just in a different way. In the gaming community, the big stories are centering around Microsoft and Sony as they release their competitors in the motion gaming movement. If we can get a computer to respond to these physical movements, is it possible true VR will be around in 10-20 years? Maybe 30?

If virtual reality does come around, what affects will we see in society? I like Janier’s idea of telegigging. After working out the finer details it could provide an answer to my first questions. Also, by that point we could be closer to virtual reality. Cyberspace is so passe.