Framing Questions #2

Sep 10 2010

Framing Questions #2

Chapter five discusses Weiner’s Cybernetics.  I have several problems with this theory; firstly, I am unsure if a social sciences theory can be developed from mathematics.  While I see how the theory concerning feedback was derived, I don’t think I came entirely from the math. What the science was dealing with was entirely technical, but Weiner’s Cybernetics has to do with people’s reactions, which aren’t scientific. Furthermore, the theory states that the stability/instability of a group rests on their reaction to a message.  I have a problem believing that that stability of society rests on the feedback of its members.  Rarely will people “go off the deep end” as a result of a message, and there are normally several voices of reason.  Is this theory at all applicable?  Or is it just too cut and dry?

In response to the case study on foul language on television, which was an application of the social learning theory in chapter six:  According to the theory, because young people heard foul language on television repeatedly and saw that it was not often met with a negative response they themselves would use foul language more often.  This is similar to the magic bullet theory, but instead of “monkey see, monkey believe” it’s “monkey see, monkey do”.  Does this theory fail to take external influences into account? I.e.-parents, teachers, etc.?

Chapter seven discusses agenda setting.  Is this concept still relevant in the age of the Internet, citizen journalism, blogs, youtube and an abundance of information?

Tags: