Elon IT Decoded: Meet Whitley Holbrook 

Posted on: February 3, 2020 | By: Tarah Holland | Filed under: Tech Tips, Elon IT Decoded, News

Elon IT Decoded feature of Whitley Holbrook, Assistant Director of Campus Technology SupportSurprisingly, working in customer service isn’t that big of a stretch for self-proclaimed introvert Whitley Holbrook.

“Sometimes it’s kind of like a nice relief to interact with people and help them with their problem because people seem really appreciative, like you just saved their whole day, even if you just checked a box or something,” she said.

In her role as assistant director of campus technology support, Holbrook oversees the Technology Service Desk at Elon. Her days are filled with a variety of tasks, from managing student employees and leading projects to engaging various departments about their technology-related experiences and ways that her team can enhance services.

“I am making sure that we’re answering calls and completing tickets correctly by helping people as much as we can on the first contact,” she said.

Understanding how people interact and learn in order to offer the best solutions for such a diverse community is most challenging for Holbrook, but Elon’s collaborative environment helps to generate ideas and build relationships.

“I really like the community atmosphere and just the collaboration between different departments and different areas in the same department,” she said. “I really like how people seem to listen to what other people have to say, get different perspectives and really try to work together towards a common goal.”

Before landing a role in information technology, Holbrook studied English literature with a goal to become a teacher. Though her plans changed, she wouldn’t have it any other way. Now, she’s looking to earn her project management professional (PMP) certification.

“I kind of want to do everything,” Holbrook said. “I could see myself doing pretty much anything because I just like a new challenge. I like to do something different all the time.”

Learn more about Whitley, her role at Elon and her life’s passions in the video below.

Top Tech Tip

“Use Google, because it’s your best friend. It’s my best friend. It’s everyone in IT’s best friend. A lot of the time, if you are running into a problem or having a weird issue, a lot of other people have had that issue and there may be a simple solution.”

QUICK BYTES

Who: Whitley Holbrook
Position: Assistant Director of Campus Technology Support
Family: Fiancé Spencer and dog Rhea
Years at Elon: 6 months
Bookshelf: Harry Potter and dystopian future novels
Unplugged: “I mostly just watch Netflix and I like to bake. I usually enjoy the process of baking and eating it before it’s actually ready, more than when it’s done.”

Tarah Holland

Tarah Holland is a Digital Content Strategist at Elon University.

More Posts