PICA TOWERS

This trilogy just goes to show that you can create thought provoking content without all of the bells and whistles. Plot. Check. Simple animation. Check. Your audience leaving in total wonderment. Double check!

The Good News

The Good News

This vignette opens dark and mysterious; as the viewer I’m a little confused as to what’s actually going on in this particular scene. Anyway, here’s my take on it…

When the scene opens, at first I believed that the electronic/TV thing is in danger because it’s being hoisted into the air by chains by the another electronic/TV thing. Then, I realized that it’s not in danger but this is some kind of sadomasochism scene I’m witnessing. This seems like some kind of seedy underworld of sex and perversion, the religious zealot comes to this place of debauchery to save the souls of sinners here, but loses his own life in the process. When the dom (not sure if it’s a male or female but I’m calling it a male) answers the door he knows that the the person on the other side is the killer; this is conveyed by the way the shape of his eyes changes. The person in chains is also aware of the danger because I can only assume because something has happened to the dom.

Hounds of Flesh

This second vignette confused me more than the first.  There are so many unanswered 

Hounds of Flesh

questions. It seems as though the dog is trailing the blind TV. Is the dog leading him to the other TV and the now dead dominatrix and other electronic-oid (both now hoisted in the air and lifeless) on purpose? Does the dog want them to be found or is he luring another victim to the killer? And why does the blind TV turn around and follow the dog? It just doesn’t make sense. All of this also makes me wonder how the two in chains were killed since there doesn’t seem to be additional blood around.

Pizza Sangre

Once again this vignette confused me! First, what in the world is that stuff flying around in the air?  There are no trees nearby so I didn’t think they were leaves. Also, they just seem to be swirling around in one spot in particular (except when the pimpled-face pizza guy is driving you can see them in the scope’s view.).

I looked up the meaning of “Sangre” and found out that it means blood in Spanish. Still, more questions loom with this scene.  Why did the TV in the window shoot the pizza delivery guy? Why wasn’t the mother figure more shocked and upset instead of being angry?

Pizza Sangre

Pica Towers seem to be located in some remote location, when the guy is looking through the scope at the opening of the scene you can see that they are in the middle of nowhere. What is this place exactly and where is it?  I thought restaurants only delivered if the point of delivery is within so many miles. Anyway, the shooter seemed very child-like or like he was younger mentally than what his appearance showed.  All in all, I enjoyed all three although they were very dark scenes. I must say that Studio AKA did a great job using simple animation to carry out a very sinister and heavy plot; very well executed. I also would like to note that they did all of this without any dialogue what so ever!

This entry was posted in Pica Towers. Bookmark the permalink.