New Media Strengthens Old Media

The transition of old media to new media has been happening constantly over the past few centuries.  However, transition should not be confused with elimination.  Old media is still able to survive with new media, although it can not match the popularity of new media.  It is then left with two options: disappear or adapt.

Examples from the reading of different types of media co-existing include how the “manuscript survives for a time into the Gutenberg era; theater and the novel co-exist with movies and television; radio reinvents itself after TV displaces its entertainment and news-reporting role in the national culture.”  The author goes on to even say that new media can make old media stronger.  A great example of this is the New York Times.  The Times is one of the most successful newspapers ever, but they have had to reinvent themselves due to the popularity of the Internet and decreasing interest in newspapers.  Last summer I was able to go on a tour of the New York Times with my Elon in NYC class.  The way they are adapting to new media was incredible.  They of course already had an app and interactive website, but were also working on NY Times tables and being able to connect them to your television.  The coolest product they were working on was a digital newspaper stand, where the user can customize the news they want and then have it printed out in the stand.  This is a perfect example of old media getting stronger by transitioning and integrating new media.

The author believes that all media will eventually converge.  It’s just a matter of waiting to see which media will triumph.  Right now we have a digital media convergence occurring where we can use video on websites, graphics in videos and so on.  Because of this convergence there isn’t really a set definition for media.  Media content is constantly changing as well as the way it is delivered to the user.  Interactive media is the next big form of media.  I think it’s funny whenever I tell someone I’m in grad school for interactive media they have no idea what it is when it’s already around them and going to further influence how they receive their media in the future.

This entry was posted in Toward an Aesthetics of Transition. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to New Media Strengthens Old Media