my opinions of the graphic artists

The following is my opinion of some of the artists I checked out on the site:

Depostion: Espiritu Santo – I like the artist in this video’s use of perception and lighting, and also his unique use of seemingly everyday things in art.

Pentagram: it was interesting to see a graphic design group at work.  A lot of the other videos show single people doing work by themselves or in a much smaller group.

David Carson – I like his naturalistic approach, how he doesn’t go by any rules.  He says his lack of training probably helps him.  I think that’s probably true.

Paula Scher – I love her typography.  The story of how she came up with the Citibank logo by the end of their meeting was awesome.  It really just shows that a creator just knows when he/she has it.

Pentagram ’06 – Big idea vs. style.  Learn from the other partners.  The video itself is cool for playing the audio over the people not moving their mouths.  It’s like their thoughts rather than something they are saying.  Very powerful.  They are storytellers, telling their stories through pictures.  A good magazine is series of surprises.

Stefan Sagmeister – this guy is kind of bizarre and I’m not sure if it’s in a good or bad way.  Honestly, the carving art into his skin kind of freaked me out.  The coffee cup thing was awesome!  The food poster was kind of weird, but kind of cool.

This entry was posted in Hillman Curtis: Artist Series. Bookmark the permalink.