Sandvik Blog

Sandvik’s Mission

The mission of Sandvik is to create products with an upmost emphasis on quality.  Their main values are based around high technology development, team spirit, constant innovation and an open mind.  They have numerous business divisions in which they make money; Construction, Machining Solutions, Materials Technology, Mining and Venture.  All five are under Sandvik’s company name, but each have radically different goals for their customers and products. But the Sandvik emphasis on quality, team spirit and innovation are constant amongst all Sandvik’s across the world.  As a global force, they are present in 60 countries.  The Mebane campus is the 3rd most profitable Sandvik campus in the world.  Also, they are big on being socially and environmentally friendly to all. For instance, the first thing they showed us was a safety awareness slide during our presentation.

Sandvik’s Customers

The Mebane campus of Sanvik actually does not have customers.  Rather, their product goes directly to their distribution center in Tennessee and then from their it goes to the customer.  But, as my tour guide said, customers order a specific product, Sandvik Mebane produces the product, then it goes to that product.  They are not like a retail company where they produce merchandise and then hope to sell it.  Rather, they produce most of their products specifically when their customers need them.  Very interesting business model.

What do Sandvik’s Customer’s Value?

This question actually came up during our visit and our tour guide, Tab Joyce said without skipping a beat that the customers of Sandvik value the quality of product the most from Sandvik.  Even though the products they produce are pricier than their competitors, the products that they produce will last much longer than competitors which in the end, will save them money.  Also, as my tour guide said, customers value how quickly and efficiently the products move from when they order to when they receive the product.  With advanced machines and equipment, Sandvik is able to produce the products extremely quickly while never compromising on quality.

What are Sandvik’s results?

A few facts and figures that I found most interesting are about the efficiency of the robots and machines that Sandvik has in their arsenal.  During our tour, I learned that one single machine does the job of 8 people if they were trying to do the same job.  And, as the price of a product is around $100 per piece, the profitability of the robots is incredible.  Also, one figure that shocked me is how widespread Sandvik is across the world.  With spots in 60 countries, they can serve an incredible amount of clients in numerous fields.  But it also baffled me as they only have two campuses in the United States.  I thought that the US would be a huge clientele for a company like Sandvik which produces products for Construction and Mining to name a few.  Construction and Mining are huge in the United States and I would think they would buy more products from such a high quality company like Sandvik.

What is Sandvik’s Plan?

Sandvik’s main goal in the future is to expand both east and west from their main hub in Sweden.  They have an enormous presence centered in the Swedish area, but need to expand in the Americas and China.  There is a huge market for Sandvik’s products in the Americas and China so why not expand to there.  Also, they also mentioned that they still really want to keep up with their impeccable safety record.  By following their business model and always trying to improve, Sandvik will do nothing but improve for years to come.

This entry was posted in Sandvik. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.