Shopping online this holiday season? Make sure you have security software installed to protect you against online threats. The holidays are a great time to shop online. From free shipping to unbeatable deals, online shopping is becoming more popular. Online shopping is different than just surfing the web. In most cases, you are giving your credit card number, mailing and billing addresses over the Internet. Updated security software helps to defend your information and devices from attacks. Has your security software subscription expired? Make sure the computer you are using to do your shopping is secure by using the following checklist when renewing or purchasing security software.
Checklist for buying security software
- Decide how many devices need protection. A good rule of thumb is if the device connects to the Internet, it needs to be protected.
- If you have different types of devices like a PC and a Mac, you may want to purchase a cross platform multi-device security software.
- Get advice from experts in your IT department, Internet service provider, computer technician or by reading comparative reviews from Consumer Reports, Mac Word, PC World and PC Magazine.
- Look for a product that includes anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-phishing, and unlimited updates while subscription is active.
- Many products offer a free trial period. This may be helpful if you are trying to decide on a product. Make sure that after the trial period, you will not be charged unless you decide to subscribe.
- Most security software companies will start sending you reminders that your subscription is about to expire and you need to renew. An easier way is to set up automatic subscriptions so you are always protected.