Response Post

Nov 05 2010

Response Post

Published by

This week seemed to be focused on wiki-leaks. Before we talked about this topic this week I had honestly no previous knowledge or opinion of them what-so-ever. Watching the interview, I have to say that I’m torn on my opinion for what he does. In a way, I admire his struggle to discover the truth about engaging and controversial topics. I think he definitely has a point, that a lot of the information that comes from the government is corrupt. It is important that the public receive the truth. However, I have to say I feel like what he does is very rebellious, and as such really touches toes over the line of whats legal and ethical. I’m not sure that the way he approaches his field is the safest and best option for approaching hidden information.

My questions for this week dealt with privacy issues and Facebook. The first question for this week was more rhetorical than realistic. I wasn’t really searching for an answer, as much as I was providing a stance.

The second question, though, can certainly be answered. Our privacy concerns do and should stretch out to all the websites we use. Any information entered in on the internet can be hacked and “found out”. It is NOT the safest type of purchase to purchase online. You hear stories everyday about how someone’s account was purged after purchasing something from Amazon.com. I personally have never had this happen to me, but my purchases online are few and far between.

The third question I posed this week was the ethicality of employers and teachers punishing employees and students based on pictures of posts on facebook. I feel that even though my question led the reader to believe I disagreed with the ethicality of this, I do not. I think it is perfectly fine and a good idea actually for employers to have access to and view their employees Facebook page. I feel that everything posted online is public domain. If the user does not want their boss or teacher reading what they wrote, or seeing their pictures, they should never have posted it in the first place. Being professional and moral should carry into every aspect of your life, because you are a representation of the company or school you belong to.