Response Week 9

Nov 04 2010

Response Week 9

1. Does putting your cell phone number on Facebook help improve your chances of getting a job? Or does it lead to privacy invasion?

I do not think that putting your cell phone number on Facebook will help you to get a job. I guess it would depend on what field you were looking for a job in. Being in interactive media, I think that recruiters would find it strange if an interactive media person put their number on Facebook, since we should know better than to put private information on a social media site. I also do not think that recruiters check Facebook for personal information like phone numbers, email, etc. I, personally, think that putting my cell phone number on Facebook is a privacy concern. Even though my profile is set to private, I am always afraid that people can view my private information.

2. Will Facebook soon have the web catting feature like gmail and skype have? Will this allow for more privacy invasion and stalking?

I think that it is only a matter of time before Facebook has the web chatting feature. This is scary to me, considering that the majority of computers today are built with web cams. I think that this will further develop privacy issues within the social media realm, especially when it comes to children. I think that a lot of children do not understand the idea of privacy and how much information they should and should not put on the web. Having a webcam accessible to them is a scary thought.

3. Will WikiLeaks eventually result in the release of consumers’ private information?

Wikileaks is an interesting and intriguing site. I think that their purpose is to better the public good and not to damage the public with the spreading of their information. Wikileaks’ goal is to do things that will help culture as a whole and punish those who are damaging our culture and the people in it.

Tags: , ,