Week 10: Privacy and Info Ethics

Oct 31 2010

Week 10: Privacy and Info Ethics

1. After writing my research paper on blogging and how it strengthens democracy on a number of levels, this statement further intrigued me because it is so accurate: “Public spaces have many purposes in social life – they allow people to make sense of the social norms that regulate society, they let people learn to express themselves and learn from the reactions of others, and they let people make certain acts or expressions ‘real’ by having witnesses acknowledge them (Arendt 1998)(Social Network Sites: Public, Private, or What?/Boyd) How does affect people and how can we observe the effects in that people are becoming better members of society and humanity?
  2. Its interesting to me when people say, “you know when you post something on  the Internet, it’s there forever” or something to that extent. Is it really? How accessible is it? And how does this really affect us?
  3. Mediated publics have four properties: persistence, searchability, replicability and invisible audiences. How have these four properties made us outgrow traditional media resources? For example, I hardly ever really read anymore unless it’s self-interest. I usually scan so logically I would read a e-book, internet article or pdf before reading a novel (that isn’t of self-interest).
  4. Often we blame technology for being the sole cause of problems, but realistically they just reveal the behavior in a more public facet. The authors discuss teenagers being a prime example of this behavior. What more effective and efficient ways can we encourage social networking and Internet rules that don’t necessarily control our youth, but better inform them. On a larger scale, is there any possible way to do so? What does media literacy really mean?
  5. Privacy issues are always discussed, but as far as I know— I’m basically non-existent on Facebook unless you know me. I understand that there are some reckless individuals on Facebook who don’t care to make there sites more secure, but it doesn’t apply to everyone. Since this information is “forever” accessible and available on the Internet, I’d like to know how this process goes. What ways can employers find information about me?