Framing Questions: Week 9

Oct 25 2010

Framing Questions: Week 9

Published by

Out of the 3 sites in the article, Guerilla News Network is “no longer open to the public” whatever that means.  From the sound of it, that would be the only “true” citizen journalism site out of the 3, since Digg and Newsvine sound more like news aggregate sites. Is it possible for citizen journalism sites to last long term or is the financial pressure of consistently producing original content too great?

Will people be able to consider sites like digg trustworthy news sources or are these sites better left to popular or fun (not important) news – the majority of the articles I saw on digg were not what I would consider “newsworthy” by any means, whereas newsvine had a more professional feel to its design as well as a higher caliber of articles listed.

Looking at the sites listed, I felt more comfortable with mainstream news sources delivering “real news”. Is it only a matter of time before people realize that they too prefer these mainstream sources and with new revenue models, these sources will be able to make money again, because I definitely don’t want them going away. I wouldn’t want to primarily rely on citizen journalism for my news source.