Citizen Journalism

Oct 24 2010

Citizen Journalism

Published by

1) I am writing my paper on how our definition of privacy has changed with new technologies. I wonder if our definition of news has also changed, including what we consider to be newsworthy?

2) The early part of this article mentioned the consolidation of smaller sites like flickr to giants like Yahoo and Google. A decade ago we were concerned with media monopolies and how consolidation might affect the democratic nature of news production. Is there any reason to believe that citizen driven journalism sites might face similar criticism in the future?

3) To build off of my previous question: do people care as much about possible news bias as we used to? I view corporate news organizations from a branding standpoint. Fox is a conservative brand; MSNBC is a liberal brand. Those two things are fact and so both sources are inherently reporting facts skewed with a heavy dose of political orientation and opinion. I’m actually not sure where I was going with this question but I suppose it makes me question why some people feel so apprehensive about citizen journalism as credible news sources.