Response – State of the Media

Oct 21 2010

Response – State of the Media

Published by

I got a book in the mail today called “Multimedia Journal” by Richard Koci Hernandez. He is a multimedia journalist who used to work for the San Jose Mercury News and now works at Berkeley. In the section called Newspapers are Dead he says: “Trying to answer or even ponder the questions on the future of journalism are a huge waste of time and stop you from doing what you’re good at: being creative. Who has time to consider all the implications of the future when we have a huge story telling opportunity right in front of us. Let’s take a deep breath, relinquish control of the future and concentrate our creative energy, on capturing moments and building great stories.” While its hard for me not to think about the future of journalism, especially because we talk about it so often in this program, I do think that he has a good point. We should work to be great multimedia storytellers and in the end hopefully that will prevail over everything. It may be wishful thinking but I’m going to go with it for the moment. Everything happens for a reason, and it will all work out in the end, even if we have to start from scratch.

Tags: