Response – Free

Oct 18 2010

Response – Free

The whole time we were talking about de-monitization I was thinking, “oh god, what am I going to do?” What are a lot of us going to do? Its pretty amazing that one small change due to the advent of technology can turn billion-dollar industries into million-dollar businesses. Its crazy that so much money can be taken out of the economic world. Its not like we have 40 people making 100k each instead of 100 people making 40k. . .there is actually a large amount of money being taken out of the market. As a visual journalist I have done a lot of work for both newspapers and magazines. One of the reasons I came to this program is because newspapers are dying and I feel like the people that are coming out of undergraduate school right now are ahead of me when it comes to technological skills. I want to remain a visual journalist so in order to compete in the shrinking market I need to expand my skill set. Print products are obviously on their way out but how are we going to replace them? I think that access to news is a right and we should not necessarily have to pay for it individually, but, who is going to pay for it?  I wish there had been some foresight to the internet. Its seems like technology kind of hit us all at once and some already establish businesses who were rolling in money at the time (newspapers) didn’t create a plan because they didn’t realize that they needed too. They had lots of money so it didn’t matter that they were giving away their content online for free.

Tags: