[framing] We are fam-i-ly!

Sep 20 2010

[framing] We are fam-i-ly!

Great! We are all connected and love each other and can express and develop that online!

I’m not so sure that this is the best possible thing. I’m also skeptical of how far this can go and what it says about human development.

Are there specific activities that will ALWAYS need person-to-person contact? School? Sports? Or will we just live online in avatar form?

What are the negative consequences to organizing online?

Is this something for the masses or just “witches”, “Bloggers” and “Atheists”?

I do also have some positive notions of the possibilities. How has this technology and world-wide community allowed more developed nations to give access to advanced information abroad? The implications of using this technology in this manner seem quite impactful.

Tags: , , , ,

One Response to “[framing] We are fam-i-ly!”

1. lschlanger Says:

“How has this technology and world-wide community allowed more developed nations to give access to advanced information abroad?”

I find your question funny. Unfortunately, not in a happy way. You ask how this technology allows more developed nations to give access to information abroad. However, based on the international studies courses I took in my undergrad the answer would be they have not.

On the global level, the developed world and the developing world are on opposing sides regarding the sharing of information.

On the side of the developed world, they feel the need to protect their information or that they at least deserve compensation. They point to countries like China where the people take all the information they can to raise themselves up. For another example, think back to our discussion with Brooke about copyright laws. For some pieces of information they will not become available to the public until after we have all passed away…and that is presuming copyrights will not be extended.

On the developing world’s side, they want the information of the developing world so they can keep up with the developed world. Right now, there are so many barriers in place that it is hard for the developing world. Hence the need to steal.

I understand that this sounds like the developed world is the bad guy on the international stage and I will admit many of my international studies classes have made it seem like the developed world is the source of many problems. I do want to say though that it does bring to light that no region of the world has a clean past or present.