Communication Theory/Research

Sep 05 2010

Communication Theory/Research

How would you determine which observation method would be best suited to gather data from social media site users?

If the target population of one’s research only makes up a majority of the total population, then does that immediately make the valid when applied to all groups?

If Normative theory focuses on what the ideal would be, why is it worth pursuing? Wouldn’t a combination of Interpretative and Critical theory be more valuable since it would combine knowledge of the present with critiques on how to make improvements for the future?

Tags: , , , ,

One Response to “Communication Theory/Research”

1. lschlanger Says:

When I picked these questions, I was in the mind set that we would be covering the textbook in a more traditional fashion where the class would touch on the major subjects of the pages we were asked to read. I may have been wrong since I do not think I can answer some of my questions, but it may just be that we have not gotten to that part of the class yet. I can, however, try to answer at least one of my questions based on what we have gone over in class.

Starting with my question about observation methods: while we have not gone over observation methods specifically, I could say that choosing a method would be akin to selecting a guiding theory for a research project. Ideally, the best suited is the one that covers a reasonable scope, is appropriate for the time, is valid, simple, and flexible in its application.

This same answer can be applied to my population question. If the research on a population satisfies some or all of the above qualifications, then it is possible to apply ones findings to the rest of a population.

I do not think I can answer my third question at this time. I think I made it a little too specific in what answer I was searching for. I would appreciate any attempts at an answer though.