Understanding Myself As A Leader

The title of “leader” is an honor, symbolizing power and influence. Striving for this title, I believed, was the ultimate accomplishment – the quintessential sign of my knowledge and ability. To achieve this pinnacle I demanded myself to be infallible, creating unrealistic expectations and as a result, I failed. These disappointing moments fostered insecurities in my potential, causing me to doubt my worthiness of the title “leader.”

Nevertheless, my college experience empowered me to discover the nuances and depths of leadership. My perception changed and I learned leadership extends beyond the position and is alive in every aspect of life; it is a partnership developed between oneself and others. This realization helped me understand the fluidity of leadership, knowing that leaders’ skills and insights should not be confined, but rather encouraged in all circumstances.  Expanding leadership into all dimensions of life required me to be vulnerable and ask for help. Accepting this idea was difficult; it challenged me to admit that leaders are not perfect and understand that mistakes permit leaders to develop and mature. With the support of mentors and friends, I embraced this new idea and finally believed in myself to make a difference and demonstrate true leadership, creating social change.  My college experience has reshaped my understanding of leadership and allowed me see myself as a leader. Even with this knowledge, I recognize there is more to learn and explore and I am excited for my leadership journey to continue.

This entry was posted in Leadership and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.