LEADSTRONG: Leaving the Bubble

LEADSTRONG Week has focused on thinking outside the bubble in terms of leadership.
But once you’re out of the bubble, how will can we continue these ideas? CFL Team Member and Senior Tim Sanford gave us some insight on what he’s learned about leadership since coming to Elon and how he will continue to use his skills upon
graduating.

How have you been involved in leadership at Elon?

My first involvement with the CFL was Adventures in Leadership the summer before my freshman year.  I really enjoy the outdoors, so I found the idea of combining activities such as white water rafting, rock climbing, repelling and hiking with leadership to be very appealing.

I am currently involved in the LEAD Program as both a participant and a student director.  I have also participated in the Life Entrepreneurship Program.

What has been your favorite aspect of the CFL programs you’ve been involved with?

My favorite aspect of the CFL has been the opportunity to surround myself with incredibly talented and motivated students.  I firmly believe that those you associate yourself with have a profound impact on how you grow as a person, and I have found students who are involved with the CFL to have a very positive impact on my personal growth.

Do you consider yourself a born leader or is it something you’ve grown into?

I believe that every person is born with a varying degree of natural leadership ability but that becoming a true leader is an evolutionary process.  No matter how talented or successful you are as a leader, there is always room for improvement and room to grow.

Who is your favorite leader and why?

My favorite leader is Theodore Roosevelt. After reading River of Doubt (a book I highly
recommend), which chronicles Roosevelt’s expeditions along an unchartered and incredibly
dangerous tributary of the Amazon River, I gained immense respect for his grit, determination, willingness to embrace challenges, ability to capture the attention of a room, motivational skills and his overall toughness of character.

How do you use leadership in everyday life?

I try my best to use leadership every day to maximize the potential of those around me.  This can take many forms, occur in varying settings and have both minor and major impacts. Leadership seems to have obtained a lofty idealistic image, but I believe that if you are inspiring those around you to be better than you are leading.

How will your experiences affect your future?

After going through a rigorous selection process for my previous internship and eventual full time job in finance, I can say that I have never had an interview that has not touched on my involvement in the CFL and the LEAD Program. Interviewers are always looking for leadership qualities in candidates, and having my experience in the LEAD program and an appropriate vocabulary to elaborate on the personal growth I have experienced through it was invaluable during my interviews.

This entry was posted in CFL Events, CFL Team & Staff and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.