Musings

digital strategy

digital strategy

Coming from a graphic design background, I thought that this Visual Aesthetics course was going to be a waste of time for me. Man oh man was I wrong! The visual aesthetics course has taught me so much that I did not already know about design. If I had to take one thing from this course, I will say the main point that designers have to learn is that you cannot design in a box. You have to research other artist in the field and stay abreast to what is going on in the design industry.

Now when I start a project before I either look at my sketchbook I look at other examples of what design that has been done before me. I think this process is good because it gets your creative juices flowing. I really learned the important of sketches throughout this semester as well.  After I do my research then I start my sketches. Before I use to go straight to the computer and work through my ideas on there but that was when I had 3-4 weeks to do a project. When you have limited time, you do not have a second to waste. The sketches allow me to get all my ideas out and the ones that are good I start to develop them more on the computer. This really helps with the approach of laying out visual communication content because it gives me a system to follow in case I ever get stuck. When you have multiply projects you can start to lose you creativeness and with this semester of researching and sketching you work and develop ideas at a faster rate.

When I looked at the courses in the program, I was shocked to find out that there are not more design courses. Even in the age of interactivity on almost every platform you have, the foundation of every system is design. If your design does not attract the user then they will never know how fun it is to interact with your interface. As people, we have an attraction to nice, clean, and beauty design. We care about what is under the hood of the car but we care about the design of the care more!

I love design. Nevertheless, I always knew that I was not the best designer. Before entering into this program, I knew that I wanted to get away from design. I was about to enter into a masters program of marketing or a MBA program. But after being in this program I knew that I do not want to be in any field that does not allow me to design in some type of way. With the knowledge, I can combine my love of design and business and helpfully be a creative director one day. I want to be the one creating the creative vision of a project. With the knowledge I have gained this semester I believe I can do that task. I can also talk with designers on my team and really give them feedback of what looks good and what does not. Overall, I feel that this class was very beneficial and needs to be another one added to the spring semester.

This entry was posted in Musings. Bookmark the permalink.