Troika Design: Creativity In Numbers

Watching the mini documentary on Troika Design group I felt inspired and intimidated all at once. I loved the collaborative structure of the creative process and the supportive vibe of the office. Troika Design group is a television branding company that prides itself on doing something new instead of just copying what’s already out there.

It was great to see how they break down the enormity of the projects into manageable pieces. They work for some really big clients (Fox, Showtime, the CW, Oxygen) and branding for television is one of the biggest marketing spaces in the advertising world. To brand an entire network takes some serious creativity and the folks at Troika Design group are certainly not short in that department.

My favorite branding campaign they highlighted was for the new Fox. It’s clean, to the point and so fresh while capturing the essence of what the Fox network is all about. They did a great job creating a brand that fit the personality of all of the network shows.

I found it interesting that some of their branding projects took around a year to complete with most of the time spent on mood boards. I assumed that television networks would want a final product in less than a year, but it’s good to know that one of the most competitive and fast-paced industries in the advertising world can wait that amount of time for a finished product. It gave me a sense of relief that not everything needs to be done at hyperspeed, especially in the ad world. I guess once you establish your firm as a group that can produce great work, people are willing to wait.

I don’t know that television branding is where I’d like to end up, but it was great to gain some perspective on the creative process in use by high-functioning firms like Troika. The open-forum, sharing-based creativity think-tank feel is something I would love to be involved in, no matter what the job description looks like.

This entry was posted in Broadcast Design. Bookmark the permalink.