Rick Morris – the process of a graphic artist

Rick Morris is a talented fellow, from what I can tell. I suppose it’s appropriate considering the nature of his work that I most enjoyed seeing the visuals he’d produced, rather than just hearing him talk.

He did have a few interesting gems. I liked this:

There’s always music at the beginning with me of anything I do. Some way some how.

He talked about music a few times in ways I could kind of relate to. I suppose since this has been mostly my first experience in creating graphics, music is a language and a passion I can connect with more easily than graphic lingo. I struggled to find much meaning in a lot of his descriptions. He mentioned paying attention to how color, form and…something else, come together. But those terms are somehow too general for me to grasp.

About midway through the documentary he talks about his work process using an example of something he’s completing at the time of filming. I was surprised to hear that he doesn’t know how it will end up. I was once told never to start a project that I didn’t have an idea of a finished product for. I liked that he allowed for the possibility that it could turn into a film festival-worthy piece or it could be a mood clip that he’ll just post online and see what happens with it.

I will admit I wasn’t a huge fan of the skewed women’s bodies in that piece. Any time a woman’s body is manipulated in the media, I think it needs to have a lot of consideration about what emotions will be generated by women in response. I didn’t get the sense that he’d allowed for that kind of consideration.

On an unrelated note, it was fun to find out there’s a real life Lynda!

This entry was posted in Documentaries: Motion graphics. Bookmark the permalink.