Schematic: Interactive design agency

I just finished watching the interview series with Dale Herigstad about his Interactive Design agency, Schematic. While watching the video I was impressed by Schematic and the ways that they think about designing products. Dale Herigstad, founder, has made Schematic’s focus creating “branded experiences” placing a heavy emphasis on interface and interaction design. At Schematic their focus is not only advertising products but instead designing the interaction between user and product. Their ultimate goal is to make interfaces more enjoyable and intuitive for users

An interface is the first thing that users interact with and form opinions about. So, Herigstad’s goal is not simply to sell a product but instead to generate new thinking about an interface design as a important aspect of user experience. At Schematic their belief is that the interface is your brand. Understanding that an interfaces impact user experience, one of Schematic’s main challenges is to make interfaces as exciting to the consumer as the content.

Throughout the interviews I was able to see some of the innovative ways Herigstad thinks about space, navigation, and user experience. In one of the clips Herigstad talks about how to designers should think about the space of any interface. The examples that Herigstad showed were different from traditional interfaces because they used 2D space for a 3D navigation. I really liked the interface he presented for the EA Sports NBA game which shows that he is able to organize complex navigation in an aesthetically pleasing way by utilizing 3D or z space.

I am really  glad I was able to learn more about Interactive Design agencies like Schematic. In the future, I would like to work at an Interactive Design agency at the end of the iMedia Program.

This entry was posted in Broadcast Design. Bookmark the permalink.