I want to grow a beard

I found me new love.

And it is Lawrence Weiner’s beard.

Also, his hands, knotted bun at the back of his head, and the fact that he smokes pot on camera.

Why is it that artists talk so poetically?  I couldn’t recall immediately what I listened to watching some of Hillman Curtis’ “Artist Series,” being pulled into a different world of text, graphics, and other cool looking people, and didn’t realize the clip finished.  When I finally came the tip of my nose formed a new relationship with my computer screen and I wonder why my eyes hurt so bad.

This concept of pulling ideas or techniques or inspirations from different sources evolves into a spilled puzzle on a large dining room table, and putting them together into the message is the ultimate goal.  But artists have this freedom where they can rearrange the puzzle and still get the pieces to fit together.

But, let’s get down to brass tax.

Hillman presented a full circle, circle of life vision to his videos (cue The Lion King).

He repeatedly shot close ups of individuals involved in the interview of them smiling, staring, smoking, or drinking beer (another personal favorite was DJ Stout from Pentagram.  Did anyone else see how his glasses looked like they were painted on his face?)  Anyways, these shots incorporated audio over the scene of the individual speaking about the art, graphic design, the business he/she works for.  Results?  Pro. Found.

When one views art, the individual simply places itself in front of the image and stares, perhaps with music playing in the background, or the lights turned on low, to convey what the message is.  Hillman presented his art similarly by letting his viewers look at artist as a whole, not the just the mouth area.  Sometimes you even forget that someone is talking to you, because by looking at the individual you are looking at the art, not the artist.

Was this Hillman’s overall goal?  Perhaps.  Reviewing some of the man’s work I could vouch that yes this is, as he covers so many topics, and fantastically.

A final note on Lawrence.

Though I do not love Helvetica, I do not have a severe problem with it.  (Plus, I also LOVE Franklin Gothic.  We are meant to be).  But Lawrence debates a good argument.  This overpopulation of one font shells enough information to drown humanity.  So much perfection from one font turns society somewhat robotic, and we have enough problems as it is.  What makes us (humans) love art is its difference, its non-conformity; its our excuse to be weird and abnormal though we hate to admit it.  In the end, we can take a note from children and make really crappy artwork but learn to love its individuality.

This entry was posted in Hillman Curtis: Artist Series. Bookmark the permalink.