Helvetica, period.

I have come away from this documentary with a new found appreciation for this font, I never spent much time acknowledging its existence, however my thoughts have changed. I watched Helvetica twice, the first time I got the superficial idea that wow Helvetica is in fact everywhere we look.  However when I watched it a second time it allowed me to appreciate it so much more, and it really let me know how easy this generation of designers has it. I think that it should be a requirement for anyone entering the field to watch, (several times, if thats what it takes to drive the point home).

At the opening it shows the old way of printing, which looked rather laborious, technology has come such a long way and I think technology may be taken for granted.  I  certainly took all of this ease of use for granted, it did not even occur to me how the design process  went before computers, because they have always been a part of my life.  Earlier designers were so limited in what they could do, making a typeface took an extremely long time, yet now we are each creating a foreign typeface within weeks.

One interviewee mentioned that it was like, air and it is so true! Helvetica goes un-noticed but it is so much a part of life, whether it be tax forms or clothing ads.  Not only is it everywhere but it is like some kind of chameleon that blends with any setting, so much so that I never realized how prominent it is.  The fact that there was a time that it went out of fashion and then came back around really exemplifies its timeless nature.  There are very few things from 1957 that are still around and relevant today.

Each different variation of the typeface allows it to translate into so many different applications.  This goes back to its careful design.  It is simple and unfettered, which has allowed it to come so far, not to mention the droves of designers interviewed that are steadfastly obsessed with this font.  I think I have come to join that group, I have started typing all my notes in Helvetica, and I foresee myself using (perhaps overusing) it in the future, simply because it can be at home in so many different designs. HELVETICA, PERIOD.

This entry was posted in Helvetica. Bookmark the permalink.