Choose your own Hypertext

Shelly Jackson’s Snitch Bitch was as intriguing as it was confusing and disorienting. The fact that this was written in 1995 is astounding, captivating and well before its time. She presents a general overview on non-linear narrative and creative storytelling. Combining non-linear storytelling in terms of hypertext is a concept that I had not previously thought about.

The ability for users to move throughout the information freely and make choices using hypertext is a capability that not many books and other mediums can compete with. Hypertext like a “choose your own adventure” book places the capabilities in the hands of the users or readers.

What I did like about the Shelly Jackson work is she practices exactly what she preaches. She writes in a nonconventional creative style. While the style may prove confusing at first it works for her and the tone of this work. She claims there is no such thing as “good” writing, that there is not a correct way to write. However I believe depending on your audience, platform and purpose there are more useful and beneficial styles of writing.

This entry was posted in Stitch Bitch. Bookmark the permalink.