The World of Helvetica

Billboards, signs and advertisements are everywhere and I have never realized before watching this video that Helvetica is everywhere. Typically we don’t focus on the typeface of what we are reading but it is an important aspect of graphic design.The clean lines of Helvetica allow the message to be clear and easily readable. It emerged as a rational typeface that could be applied to all types of information.

I honestly didn’t notice typeface and fonts before I watched “Helvetica.” Now I feel that I will be noticing how it is everywhere. That the same font is used for almost everything. Before this, I never thought people could be so enthusiastic about a font, but I was wrong. I didn’t even know “type designer” was a career path that we could go into. It was interesting to learn that different fonts can bring about a different meaning to a message even if the information is still the same. It is a small but powerful thing.

I never realized how much thought went into designing a typeface. Helvetica’s strokes are typically cut either horizontally or vertically. It was something that went unnoticed until I really looked at it. I think it was a successful typeface because it achieved its goal and it is widely used around the world. I am looking forward to studying more about graphic design because just from watching this video, I learned that everything about design is intentional and has a purpose.

This entry was posted in Helvetica. Bookmark the permalink.