Try to go a day without seeing Helvetica

I liked the idea that a font is as much about the space between the type as it is about the type itself. Since tracking, kerning and leading are all alterable I had not given much though to the original way the type comes. Furthermore, you just accept that text is aligned. Designing a typeface within a grid provides for structure. Order is typography. Even fonts that are more creative maintain consistency throughout the letters.

I found the approach to creating a font interesting. If I were to design a font before seeing this movie, I probably would have started with a, then made the letter b, on to c and so forth. However creating an h, followed by an o and p is very logical. Once you have those letters, the rest will fall into place.

Finally, what I found possibly the most interesting about the movie is the prevalence of the font. Who would think companies as diverse as Verizon, American Apparel, Crate & Barrel, BMW, Post-It, Harley Davidson and The North Face can all share the same font? This speaks to the global, versatile and powerful nature of the font. Period.

This entry was posted in Helvetica. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Try to go a day without seeing Helvetica