On the Edge

The World Wide Web has been around for many years, but is still in its infancy.  In recent years, the average citizen has started to integrate it into his/her daily life. Students are abandoning libraries for Google and Wikipedia. Atlas and roadmaps has become passe due to Google Maps and GPS. The US Post Office is suffering due to the emergence of
e-mail.

“In some instances the earliest phase of a medium’s life may be its most artistically rich,” write David Thorburn and Henry Jenkins in the introduction to Toward an Aestheics of Transition. Based on this theory, the most exciting and creative time to be working with the Web is now. The creativity that has come out of the Web is mind boggling. Who would have thought a student in a dorm room at Harvard would create a world phenomena?  Facebook was new to the college landscape my sophomore year of college (2004). At that time, it was only open to college students. Now, any one with a computer, smartphone, tablet, ect., and an internet connection can be on Facebook. Businesses have fans and offer special deals. Where Facebook will go next is up to Mark Zuckerberg, but I’m sure he’s been thinking about it.

There is still much more to be discovered and created. I believe that is why many people are in the iMedia program. Maybe one of us will create the next Facebook or Twitter. We are on the edge emerging technology; it is exciting to see what it will lead too.

After I put up this post, I read this blog, which I thought went nicely with what I wrote.

This entry was posted in Toward an Aesthetics of Transition. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to On the Edge