Vietnam Part III

I can not believe our last day is here! This past week has been spent in Ho Chi Minh, an entirely different city than both Hanoi and Hoi An in every way. And, completely different than I expected. The city is much more westernized, and the population is dominated by young adults. Compared to Hanoi, the city is much more organized, and cleaner. A great example to describe the differences between the two cities is a restaurant experience that we had. In both Hanoi and Hoi An we decided to go to an Indian restaurant, Tandoor. The restaurant is owned by the same person in both cities, and in terms of menu and prices it is the exact same. But, in Hanoi the restaurant was questionable based off appearance. It was a little rundown, but blended in with the other restaurants that filled Hanoi. So, we decided to go, and it was great. Upon arriving in Ho Chi Minh, on our first night, we couldn’t resist finding Tandoor again, expecting a similar setting… It could not have been more opposite. The restaurant was modern and sleek. The four levels of dining rooms were packed with people, where in Hanoi we were the only diners in the restaurant. And it immediately became clear to me how different these two cities and their cultures are. It is a small, but perfect example.

I have never had the opportunity to experience another country the way I have been able to experience Vietnam. I am walking away from this trip feeling like I have really been able to learn and understand the true culture of Vietnam, and not just what Vietnam presents on the surface for its tourists. Over these three weeks we have had the chance to see all parts of the country and it has enabled me to use all my senses, to dig deeper into the true culture of Vietnam, and to explore more of what happens behind the scenes in the every day life of a Vietnamese person. Although there were many aspects of this exploration that were discouraging in terms of the many challenges that lie ahead for Vietnam, I believe that the country and young generation of Vietnam hold a lot of promise. I believe that this country is full of hope, despite these inevitable and undeniable challenges. By learning the history of Vietnam in more depth it has helped me develop this theory. It has also made me develop a lot of respect and admiration for the people of Vietnam.

Although these three weeks are over I will continue to reflect on this experience, and share a love for the country of Vietnam forever. I wish that someday I can come back and be able to see how Vietnam has changed for the better. I think it will.

This entry was posted in Vietnam. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.