Week 1: Hanoi & Ha Long Bay

There’s only one word I could use to describe Vietnam so far, and that’s breathtaking. From the many temples in the city to the jaw dropping rock cliffs out in the country, Vietnam has been nothing but beautiful. My favorite part of the trip so far has been the boating, biking, and temple-viewing excursion. Before I left for Vietnam I had always pictured the country as a place with dirt roads and plenty of natural scenery, so the city of Hanoi was very shocking with all it’s traffic and buildings. The excursion was the first time I truly experienced what I expected to get out of Vietnam. Canoeing though mile long caves and “dirt biking” through rice paddies are two things that most people will never get to experience in their lives, so being able to do both those activities in one day was truly an amazing feat. 
I’ve also noticed so many cultural differences between Vietnam and America since coming here. Like most people, the first thing I noticed was the absence of traffic laws and the constant honking of horns. While I think the idea that people can drive wherever and however they want is a little absurd, I’ve come to realize that most people seem to figure out their surroundings quite well and know how to navigate the roads. It’s interesting how I’m flinching in our giant bus whenever anyone comes close to us, yet the people with no protection on their motorbikes don’t seem to be fazed by anything.
The other cultural difference I’ve noticed is that the people here seem very hard working yet very nice and grateful. For example when we went to the organic farm the women in the fields were doing labor intensive jobs, but they all seemed so happy and friendly. In fact most people we have encountered so far are more than nice and welcoming. The people here add so much to the amazing cultural experience we are all having, and make me extremely glad I chose to visit Vietnam.

20140114-173441.jpg

20140114-182740.jpg

20140114-182750.jpg

This entry was posted in Vietnam. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.