Kyle Waggoner Service Statement

My name is Kyle Waggoner and I am a junior at Elon University. Contributing to the community has always been important to me, specifically the youth of the community. In high school, I served as a youth board member for a local organization, WIN for KC, which promotes participation in sports for girls and women of all ages. I helped with community events and served as a team captain at the youth camp for four summers. While serving on the youth board, I interacted with young girls and witnessed their enthusiasm and excitement for sports. Helping the young girls become more confident and watching them improve in skill and spirit throughout the course of the camp was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I saw the impact and power that myself and the other team captains had on the younger girls, and I realized I had a passion for helping young kids get involved in sports and develop as athletes. Since I have been at college, myself and my teammates on the soccer team have helped coach young soccer players as well as special education athletes in the area.

I am so looking forward to the upcoming trip to South Africa with my classmates and I feel that our group can leave a strong impact on the places we visit and the people we interact with. I personally hope to share my time and talents with the youth and women of South Africa, much like I have worked to do with my community at home and the community of Elon, through an internship. I want to share my passion for the promotion of health and sports among women and young girls of South Africa. I realize the impact sports and wellness has had on my own life, and I want to share this with others who are less fortunate. I look forward to contributing to the country that will give me an experience I will never forget. Giving back to the community of South Africa is very important to me and I am determined to contribute in any way I can.

This entry was posted in Class of 2010. Bookmark the permalink.