JD Verniero’s Biographical Service Statement

My name is JD Verniero, and I’m a junior accounting major with a minor in economics. Leaving behind a legacy that entails helping is very important to me because it sets a standard for living the rest of my life. Throughout my life I have worked with children, starting with babysitting in 6th grade and working my way up to head camp counselor as a senior in high school. I mainly worked with children from ages 5-7, so I’m extremely comfortable around children. I cannot wait to help, play, and work with the children of South Africa.
I attended the same school for middle and high school. Service learning was a very integral part of our school. Starting in 6th grade we did at least 6 to 8 days of service learning every year. I usually worked with children groups or others such as Habitat for Humanity. I took a weeklong trip to do service work in London, as well as a week with Habitat in North Carolina. However, South Africa service will be something totally different than what I’ve experienced before.
While in South Africa I hope to use my passions, experience with service, and excitement to help in any way possible. My goal is to make at least one child feel the same kind of feeling I know I’m going to have in South Africa; euphoria.

This entry was posted in Class of 2010. Bookmark the permalink.