Thirty Conversations on Design

I found Augustin Garza to be especially interesting and his focus on life, renewal and death. How do we add an element of design to this? I did a bit more research on Garza and his website has the following interesting quote on his design philosophy:

The subject of death, decay and resurrection has haunted me since I can remember. As a young artist, I began to explore religious symbolism and ritual as a way to reflect on these questions. My work later focused on how these subjects play out in institutional contexts such as church, state and corporation. The artworks created during this period were a combination of varied media and drew from early Christian iconography and commercial symbols. My fascination now, as it was then, is on the emotional, spiritual and intellectual correlations that exist in the transformative processes of life and form, from biochemical decomposition, or industrial corrosion, to the transubstantiation of the holy host.

Below are some of Garza’s “debris” work, which I still can’t wrap my head around how began to ‘design’ this. Regardless, I really enjoy his work and his view on organic design. It definitely puts me out of my comfort zone from the traditional views of design.

This entry was posted in 30 Conversations on Design. Bookmark the permalink.