Rick Morris and inspiration for motion graphics

Rick Morris, motion graphics designer.  What struck me the most about his take on design was that his entire life was saturated by things that inspired him.  His home was carefully crafted with decor and he pointed out that the house was specially designed for a family by an architect, and that fact made the home more special.  Him saying that made it clear that each part of his life had elements of design in it, and he thought deeply about it.

When he talked about process that struck me because I related to that a lot.  As the semester progressed I realized the importance of sketching out my ideas.  He also talked about taking pictures on his phone, and I totally related to that as well because my iPhone is overflowing with pictures of things that I found to be pleasing, and I would not have thought professionals turned  to iPhone photos for tools and inspiration.

Hearing the experiences of people in the field is always beneficial for me.  I think that listening to what Rick Morris had to say gives perspective on how the industry will be when we graduate.  Which is coming a lot quicker than I for one anticipated so being able to see what that is actually going to be like makes it seem a lot less intimidating.  He goes through a process the same way we do, and he is learning new things as he goes along just as we have been doing throughout the semester.  The main thing I took from Rick Morris was that he was saturated in his work at every turn, not in a negative way, but in a way that he enjoyed, and his immersion was obviously a positive thing.

This entry was posted in Broadcast Design. Bookmark the permalink.