That’s a Wrap!

Fifteen weeks later. Holy hell.

Fifteen weeks ago, if you asked me what design was, I probably would have said something people do who aren’t good enough to be artists, or are good enough, but want to actually make money. Typography would have been something I described as the options given to you while typing in Microsoft Word– nothing more. I was naive to design in video– those people had other names. Hilman Curtis was a stranger to me. As was the notion that I could ever be considered a designer– I am not really ‘artistic.’

Today, I laugh at my early ideas. I also laugh at my present self. Watching the blank stare on my parents’ faces as I try to explain why I love this class. Or how impressive design is. “So you’re like an artist now or something?” “Hmm… I guess that is nice, but I mean, what does it do?” Their responses kind of piss me off. I understand what the author in Essay 4 meant when his family didn’t know he was famous until an outsider pointed it out. Where is my outsider!

I laugh while listening to myself as I watch movies and commercials– judgement seeping from me. I gawk at typeface choices. I shake my head at poor shot composition. When did I become a pretentious art snob? I guess somewhere between week one and fifteen, huh?

Ashamedly, I admit to my snobbery. But a secret part of me says, “No, no, do not be ashamed! You’re going to be making great things one day soon, and hell, getting paid for it!” I do wish this course was longer, and we were able to delve a little deeper. Skimming the surface has inspired thought and appreciation for and about the field. But I want more!

What fifteen weeks has taught me, condensed version: design in complex, but should appear simple; less is more, generally; typography says more than the words it spells; color (or lack of) is important; be knowledgable about the past, in order to make great work in the present; don’t take yourself too seriously, because as soon as you fall in love with a design, idea, or yourself a critic will come along and slap you right off your high horse. It will hurt less if you were expecting it. And sometimes ignore the critics, because design is subjective. If you really believe in it, it just might have the potential to be great.

That’s a wrap!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.