Dexter Mocks Valentine’s.

I really enjoyed the Dexter title sequence for the tight shots and fitting music. In general, I like tight shots and thought they were very well executed here. The shots were crisp and vibrant with color and detail. Focusing so tightly allowed the full face of the person to not be seen until the end. The music also helps in that it is playful yet ominous, especially the ding at the end. I have never seen the show, but from what I’ve heard about it from friends that do like it, this seems to be a fitting title sequence.

To Kill a Mockingbird also used tight shots, but had a very different feel. All you know is that a child is coloring and humming, you don’t even know if the child is a boy or girl. The first image of the cigar box would be considered a tight shot, but here serves as an establishing shot. You watch the hands open the box and see all the pieces within. I especially like how the coloring reveals the title of the movie, rather than as text over the video. The panning helps hold your attention and keeps the sequence interesting. The black and white accentuates this feeling as does the simplistic, all-caps text. Both times I smiled when the child said “bing” before the marbles hit.

I watched Blue Valentine’s title sequence because I always see the movie at Redbox or Blockbuster, but have yet to rent it because the description sounds like it will creep me out and I’m a wimp. I watched the title sequence, then the trailer to get a better idea of the movie. While both are quite vague, they have definitely piqued my interest even more. The title sequence is a perfect balance between simple yet brilliant. The images of the characters are all photographs that are still, panning or zooming. The images themselves you can only see based on the lighting from the fireworks exploding. Apparently the last scene has fireworks in it, so it’s a perfect transition (these are closing titles). The music is perfect, especially the timing of the first crescendo and the appearance of the title of the film. My impression of the film is that it is really artsy, especially appearing at Sundance, and the title sequence (and trailer) is very fitting. Overall? Awesome.

This entry was posted in Film Title Design. Bookmark the permalink.