Design is a Process

Design is something that is not easy to teach. The elements and the uses of design can be taught, but creativity is not something that is learned. That comes naturally. Everyone favors different types of design. I personally prefer simple design. I think that less is more.

Emily Pilloton believes that the process of design is more important than the end product. She talks about the use of design within education. She teaches high school and design is an untapped resource for public education through her Project H design. The educational system in this country is very top down and students need to meet the states requirements in order to graduate. It is very structured and allows for little creativity. The best parts of design can work towards a new public education system. By teaching design to students and to also use design as a process to improve the educational system. She believes that this can help deliver information to students in a better and more efficient way.

What I liked about this project was that it was using design elements that we learn in class to help in areas where you wouldn’t think design would be used. I wholeheartedly agree that there are flaws in the educational system. Everyone learns differently and because of this it is hard to fit each student into the mold that the educational system has carved out. Project H works with the poorest county in North Carolina to help reshape their educational system. I think that this is a great example of how valuable design is and how it can help better our communities.

This entry was posted in 30 Conversations on Design. Bookmark the permalink.