Three conversations on design

The first conversation on design that I watched was the one on transportation. These people are trying to design more efficient, environmentally friendly, accessible and easy to use modes of transportation. Just like everybody else these people are frustrated (if even not more) by many of our current transportation systems. They believe keeping nature intact and not hurting other people are two of the most important concepts when thinking about the future of transportation. They also believe this could be done by the government hiring people who know what they are doing such as design firms and engineers. I definitely agree with what these designers have said. I think that a lot of money is often given to businesses that don’t fully understand what they are doing. There’s no way around it, but we are all living extremely unsustainable lives, and we need to begin to curb this lifestyle before it’s too late and transportation is a great place to start.

The second short video I watched was Do More With Less, which interviews Emily Pilloton. She discusses how design is lacking in schools, but how important it is. She wants to help redesign spaces and materials for students, teachers, and parents. She believes that design should also be taught and be used to help solve problems. Finally she also thinks that design could help change the entire education system to improve it and be more efficient This was definitely an inspiring story. I’m extremely interested in design, but am also interested in many social projects. Seeing Emily combine the two is extremely inspiring.

A third video that I watched was by a person I know pretty well, Tony Hawk. He discusses how Apple products are a design that inspires him above all (which I totally agree with). They have changed not only the computer industry, but the music and telephone industry as well. Apple products are accessible and fun for an expansive amount of people. Tony Hawk believes (which I still also agree with) more companies should continue to follow this model. Technology is becoming more complicated, but businesses need to make sure that what they are selling is still accessible and fun to a wide variety of audiences.

This entry was posted in 30 Conversations on Design. Bookmark the permalink.