HELVETICA

Typefaces have always fascinated me. I have been using fonts quite regularly, especially when designing and in publishing works since more than two decades.  Thus I have been collecting and installing them on my computer since many years. But I have always looked at fonts from two perspectives: aesthetics and practicality. You use them according to their beauty and in the context in which they will serve a purpose. I never gave a thought to the fact that some of them may have a very distinct and interesting (hi)story behind them – until I saw the documentary on Helvetica.

Helvetica‘ by Gary Hustwit opened my eyes to this ubiquitous font I had been taking for granted for so long. I had used it often, seen it all around me, e-v-e-r-y day! and yet never really given weight to it (may be not even the regular 12 pts.!) – although now I realize that Helvetica had been staring at me from so many places, and we were born in the same year!

The movie is truly educational in the sense that it was not only about Helvetica as a typeface, but rather it informs and educates about typography, graphic design and global visual culture. It helps us to see how graphic design has affected our lives, albeit unconsciously. Helvetica becomes a good example in point. The interviews with almost a score of illustrious designers and artists, expressing their unique viewpoints regarding typography and graphic design, are truly enriching in this documentary.

Many are the reasons why Helvetica gained popularity – one of them being the fascination of people for Swiss design, like once upon a time watches designed in Switzerland signified the epitome of beauty and grandeur. Then there was also the subconscious attraction to sans-serifs, which probably signifies purity and clarity. But more than these probably is the fact that advertising agencies and designers definitely made Helvetica ubiquitous by incorporating it in logos and signage for transportation systems, and other publicly visible contexts. Of course in these past two decades Apple computers have no doubt contributed to its popularity.

Do I like helvetica? Yes and No. I like it because it is a very legible and clear font; it has a certain touch of modernity and neutrality. It does not attract attention to itself. But there are also other typefaces with similar characteristics. The only reason why they have not become as popular as Helvetica is, I believe, due to historical opportunities. Helvetica happened to be born at the right time and in the right place. But I am sure that the 21st century will have its own preferred typeface. May be it is yet to be born!

This entry was posted in Helvetica. Bookmark the permalink.