Design agency documentary discusses cultivating creativity

While watching the Troika Design Group documentary on Lynda.com, I found the discussion of their design process and culture of creativity incredibly interesting.

I thought it was cool that they are most excited by projects they understand the goals of but have no idea how to achieve. The scope of most projects require a collaborate environment and support system for those involved.

The description of their process was this: Breaking up a project into smaller, more manageable goals. Getting all the obvious solutions out and then moving into the fringes and even slightly over the line of what would be acceptable. Problem solving, communication, ideas, then production moves into the art of design.This process allows both client and creative team to learn together as smaller steps are taken.

The way Troika maintains a creative culture is by cross training employees, effectively feeding their creative interests and encouraging everyone to keep pushing the boundaries.
I thought it was interesting co-founder said design studios are built around getting the best out of each person – about individuality and innovation and keeping people inspired. That spirit is reflected in the environment and way teams are structured.
Having worked in a cubicle and in a newsroom, I definitely agree with the point he makes about how corporate environments that are cold, uniform and dull create a sense of conformity that doesn’t afford anyone the creative freedom needed to be at their absolute best.
They continually work to enable employees to accomplish things they didn’t previously consider themselves capable of. The group often sees the work as an opportunity to expand their knowledge base, skills and even life experiences. For example, one employee mentioned learning a new language when working with an overseas client.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Broadcast Design. Bookmark the permalink.