Simplicity & Purpose

Many of the artist touched on the topics of inspiration in simple things. Simple things such as the sunset, the pencil, or a wine glass. In those simple things they become inspired to create. Their intentions aren’t always to create some new but more or less to capture a new element of an old thing…something we didn’t see before…something we may have overlooked.

It was nice to see that although the artists and designers were inspired by simple things, they used those self-motivations to inspire others. I hear different opinions. Some say that the freedom of design or the creation of anything comes when you are true to yourself or if you’re so to speak, designing for yourself. I also hear, such as some of the artist in the videos that I watch, that they design for the purpose of others. They’re inspired to inspire.

I think I enjoyed Deborah Adler in the 2010 category. With any profession, I too often see people lose emotion of passion…or maybe that was just at my last job…nahhh I see it now as well. It’s as if everyone has a job but they’re going through the motions. They do but out of obligation. A while ago a friend of mine described it best. We were in undergrad and I asked him why didn’t he want to be the president of the organization we were in together and he said, once something becomes a job, it takes all the fun out of it. He said that you see everything from a leadership or business perspective and it takes away the simplicity of just being apart of something or just being. I thought it was cool that 14 years later Adler still had the same emotion for the Michelangelo sculpture. I think if she had lost her passion for what she does, maybe she would have lost her emotion for all things creative.

Very interesting videos and it’s always good to see people who remain passionate about what they do, it helps the rest of the world remain motivated as well, so they truly are serving a purpose, through their creations and attitudes.

This entry was posted in 30 Conversations on Design. Bookmark the permalink.