Journalism in the Age of Data

This is my favorite short film that we’ve watched this semester. I have always had a love for data and math (mind you, very simple math), but also design. I have a very odd brain — my Dad is a nuclear engineer and my Mom is a children’s book author and poet. So basically, I have an interest in the creative-side and the math side, but I’m certainly not a prodigy at either!

That’s what draws me to infographics. It’s taking sometimes complex and boring data and figuring out a creative way to engage people to draw their own conclusions (with the designer guiding them along the way!). My Grandma always says “A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.” I love that line. It’s so true! I think that’s why I’ve never been a big op-ed reader, and the people that like op-eds are reading the authors that already believe the same things as them. It’s just a reinforcement to argue their ideas.

The cool thing about infographics is that it lets a user come to a conclusion about a topic on their own by interacting with the data. The author is most-likely trying to prove a point, and quietly guide the user to a specific conclusion. When the user feels like he or she has the power to decide for themselves, they are much more likely to be open to changing their opinion on a topic or at least continuing the conversation.

Second, I love that infographics aren’t about being super artistic as they are about representing the data with clean lines and shapes. I can do that! I know my strength is not in beautiful pieces of graphic art — I sadly have to accept that. Infographics let the data-driven mind have a creative outlet. It wasn’t until watching the film that I realized how much that “art form” spoke to me and piqued my interest! Not sure where to take that interest from here, but I’m finally starting to see a post-graduation path!

This entry was posted in Journalism in the Age of Data. Bookmark the permalink.